Thursday 17 February 2011

Welcome to my world

Since most of what I say here will revolve around writing, I might as well talk about my tastes and so on.

I’m mainly a fantasy writer. I read almost everything, as every writer does, but I’m definitely an adventure person.

Romance bores me. It’s fine as a sub plot, but it can’t carry a book. Entirely my own personal opinion, of course.  Greatest respect for those who read and write it, it’s just that neither of those groups include me if I can help it. So there won't be much about it on here, sorry.

Although fantasy, sci-fi and their ilk present some different challenges (more focus on wider world building etc.) most of what I say will apply to everything. Speculative fiction isn't all that unique.

Every book has its heroes and villains, every author world builds even if it’s only a town they create and every 
book relies on basic good story telling. Admittedly, none of the above involves bolts of lightning, sword fighting or ray guns in most romances, but the principles are the same.

In this blog, I shall rant about anything that takes my fancy. I’ll also include an interesting but useless word or fact, because I’m cool like that.

Coming up at some point in the future:

Magic spelling

Working out what appeals to you in a book

Flaws and virtues: The balance between cardboard and depressing

Show don’t tell: What it means

No comments:

Post a Comment